ENGLISH FIRST PAPER
Time – 3 Hours
Subject Code: 107
Full marks: 100
[N.B.—The Figures in the margin indicate full marks.]
Section A—Reading Test (Seen Passage)
Read the passage carefully and answer the questions 1, 2 and 3:—
Health is the condition of our body and mind. It may be good or bad. Good health means healthy body free from diseases. It is essential for everyone to lead a happy life. If we are not in good health, we cannot concentrate on any activity in our life.
A proverb goes, “Health is wealth.” It means health is equally valuable as gold or any other personal possessions. We may have vast wealth and property, but if we are not healthy we cannot enjoy them.
To keep ourselves healthy, we have to do certain things. We have to take a balanced diet. We must exercise regularly to keep our body fit for work.
There is an old saying:
“Early to bed and early to rise
Makes a person healthy, wealthy and wise.”
So we must not keep late hours. We should go to bed early at night and rise early in the morning. Peace of mind is another condition for good health. So we must not worry over small things of life.
- Choose the best answer from the alternatives: — 1×5=5
(a) A healthy person is one who —
(i) is physically and mentally sound (ii) eats good food (iii) has a lot of wealth (iv) is overweight
(b) The phrase ‘to keep late hours’ means—.
(i) to go to bed late (ii) to wake up late in the morning (iii) to do things late always (iv) to be late for the class
(c) We need to eat —
(i) rich food (ii) balanced diet (iii) little food (iv) lot of food
(d) Possession means —
(i) estate (ii) foundation (iii) state (iv) step
(c) Essential means —
(i) rare (ii) avoidable (iii) uncommon (iv) necessary
- Give short answers to the following questions.
(a) What do you mean by health?
(b) What should we do to keep healthy?
(c) Why is good health necessary?
(d) How can we keep our body fit for work?
(e) What is the meaning of the proverb “Health is Wealth” mean?
- Read the text in ‘A’ again. Now write the summary of it. (around 60 words) 10
Reading Test (Unseen Passage)
Read the following text carefully and answer the questions 4 and 5:—
You have heard the name of S.M. Sultan. Hiss full name is Sheikh Muhammad Sultan. He was a Bangladeshi Avant-grade artist. He worked in painting and drawing. He was born in Machimdia Village, Narail District, Bangladesh, on 10th August 1923.from his boyhood, he showed himself as a future artist. In course of time he was known as a great artist. For his achievement in fine art, he was awarded with the ‘Ekushe Padak’ in 1892; the Bangladesh Charu Shilpi Sansad Award in 1993. His works are held in several major collections in Bangladesh including the Bangladesh National Museum, the National Art Gallery, the S. M. Memorial Museum and the Bengal Foundation. He died on 10th October 1994. Though he is no more among us , his immortal heart is with his arts.
- Complete the following table with the information given in the passage: — . 1×5=5
|S.M. Sultan||was born||(i) ——||on 10th August 1923|
|He||died||in Bangladesh||(ii) in ——|
|He||was awarded||the ‘Ekushe Padak’||(iii) in ——|
|(iv) ——||are held||in several major collections||in Bangladesh|
|He||got Charu Shilpi Sansad Award||(v) in ——|
- Read the passage again and write true or false beside the statements. Give correct answers for the false statements: —. 1×5=5
(a) S.M. Sultan was a world famous artist.
(b) He was born in urban area.
(c) For his outstanding achievement in fine art, he was noted worldwide.
(d) His famous works have been kept in museum.
(e) He was awarded the Bangla Academy Puruskar.
- Fill in the gaps with appropriate words: — 1×5=5
Truthfulness is a (a) — virtue. It is (b) — to be the noblest of all virtues. It denotes the man’s ability of (b) — the truth. This virtue (d) — a man nothing hut it earns him a lot. For example, it crowns a man with (d) — and dignity. Besides, everybody believes him and shows him (e) — respect.
- Rearrange the following sentences in correct order: — 1×10=10
(a) The boy was awake and busy in studies.
(b) She woke up all on a sudden.
(c) His beloved mother was also sleeping.
(d) She told her obedient son to give her a glass of water.
(e) He was nine years old.
(f) Long ago, there lived a widow in a village of Bustam.
(g) The boy also loved and obeyed her very much.
(h) She loved him very dearly.
(i) She had a son.
(j) One night the entire village was in deep sleep.
- Fill in the gaps using clues from the boxes. There are more words than necessary: — 0.5×10=5
Proper (a) — provides a learner with opportunity to improve all his (b) —. Its aim is to develop him physically and (e) — so that he can be useful to himself and to the (d) —. An educated man is (e) — but he can also (f) — others in attaining this great virtue. He is (g) — to be well-mannered, kind and sympathetic. So, a man who has acquired (h) — and skill only for his (i) — development cannot be called a (i) — educated man
- The phrases in Column A are the beginning of some sentences. The phrases in Column B are the endings. Match the phrases in Column A with the phrases in Column B to make complete sentences: — 1×5=5
|Column A||Column B|
|(a) Illiteracy is a curse||(i) can’t contribute to the betterment of his country.|
|(b) An illiterate person||(ii) the prosperity of a person.|
|(c) It greatly hinders||(iii) the whole nation suffers.|
|(d) As a result||(iv) for a developing country like ours.|
|(e) So, we all should come||(v) forward to educate the general mass.|
Section B—Writing Test
- Suppose you are Ripon / Rupa and your friend is Rashid / Rashida. Your friend wants to know about your preparation for the coming JSC examination. Now write a dialogue between you and your friend about it. 10
- Write a paragraph on ‘your school library’ by answering following questions: —
(a) What is a school library?
(b) What is the significance of a school library?
(c) Where is it located?
(d) How are the books arranged?
(e) Do you feel good in your school library?
- Read the beginning of the story. Now, complete it in your own way: — 10
There was a clever fox in a jungle. One day he fell into a trap as he was walking through the jungle. He could not get out of the trap but lost his tail behind. Without his tail, he looked very strange. “What should I do now?” he cried. …………………………………………………………………………………………………………..
- Suppose, you are Rana / Rina living at Mirpur 12/A Dhaka. You friend Monowar / Monowara living in 6 Rupnagar, Khulna met a brilliant result in the JSC Examination. Now, write a letter to your friend congratulating him/her on the brilliant success. 10