6. Fill in the gaps with the right forms of verbs in the brackets. Question a and e have special instructions in the brackets for the use of verbs. .5 × 8 = 4
1. My name is Bibha. I live with my mom. My dad (a) ______ (‘live’ in the negative) with us because he (b) _______ (work) in Saudi Arabia. I haven’t go any brothers or sisters and so I (c) _________ (spend) a lot of time with my cousin Tushi. I often remember the days with my dad. When (d) ________ (be) a bay, I (e) _________ (‘make’ expressing habit) my dad a horse to take a ride. Not only that, everyday he (f) _________ (tell) me many interesting stories. My mother nowadays says that we (g) _________ shift to Saudi Arabia soon, but I really don’t want to leave this country. Rather, I prefer my father to (h) _________ (stay) here with us.
2. Bangladesh (a) _______ (be) full of natural resources. The prosperity of the country (b) ______ (depend) on the proper utilization of the resources. We should not (c) ________ (lead) a lazy life. We should all (d) ________ (build) up our country. For this reason, we have to (e) _________ (work) hard. No nation (f) _______ (prosper) without industry. It should be (g) ______ (remember) that prosperity (h) __________ (‘come’ in the negative) to a nation automatically.
3. Time (a) _______ (be) very valuable. This valuable time (b) _______ (‘wait’ in the negative) for anybody. No power (c) _______ (stop) it. It (d) ________ (know) no pause in its course. It is not wise to (e) _______ (neglect) time. The man who does not make the best use of time is sure to (f) ________ (succeed). All the famous persons of the world have (g) _______ (make) the best use of time. We should (h) ________ (follow) them.
4. Truthfulness (a) _______ (be) one of greatest virtues which (b) ______ (make) a man really great. A man is (c) ______ (‘trust’ in the negative) by others if he does not cultivate the habit of speaking the truth. A man who is not trusted by anybody can (d) _______ (‘gain’ in the negative) any position. A man (e) ________ (achieve) his ends once or twice by (f) ______ (tell) lies, but no permanent gain comes out of such success. It must (g) ________ (come) to light sooner or later. Then the real character of the liar gets (h) _______ (expose) and nobody trusts him anymore.
5. Mobile phone (a) _______ (be) one of the wonders of modern science. It has (b) _________ (add) a new dimension to our way of life and to the communication system. It (c) _______ (be) a telephone system that (d) _______ (work) without any wire. Obviously, mobile telecommunication (e) ________ (become) a part of modern life. Nowadays (f) _________ (keep) a mobile phone is not a luxury in this poor country like Bangladesh. People (g) _______ (use) mobile phones to (h) _______ (do) rapid communication.
6. Love for one’s country (a) ______ (know) as patriotism. Every man (b) _______ (have) great love for his country. Many of our freedom fighters (c) _______ (sacrifice) their lives in 1971 for the sake of our country due to this noble virtue. At present still there (d) ________ (be) some people who (e) ________ (work) relentlessly for the sake of our country because they (f) _______ (love) our country. We should (g) ________ (follow) their footprint. Otherwise our hopes and aspirations (h) _______ (end) in smoke.
7. The Egyptians (a) _______ (believe) that after death people (b) _______ (go) to another world. They (c) ________ (think) that people would still (d) _______ (need) many of the things they had on earth. Their kings (e) _______ (have) many wonderful treasures. They buried those treasures with them. The kings (f) ________ (‘bury’ in the negative) in the open ground or in graveyards. They buried them in great buildings or tombs (g) _______ (call) pyramids. These pyramids (h) ______ (build) out in the deserts.
8. We write letters to our friends and relatives. Nowadays, people (a) _______ (‘send’ in the negative) letters as before. They (b) _______ (use) the system of SMS through mobile. But the SMS cannot (c) _______ (be) as big as a letter. They cannot (d) ______ (express) in detail what they think or want. In the past, people (e) ________ (‘communicate’ expressing the habit) through letters. Then we would (f) __________ (wait) for a letter very eagerly. It (g) ________ (take) a long time to receive a letter from abroad. But nowadays, we can (h) _______ (contact) with somebody within a second through a mobile phone.
9. Science is the medium of all kinds of development. It is science that (a) _______ (‘make’ use present perfect tense) human life last and dynamic. The most wonderful development we can (b) _______ (see) in the system of communication. There was a time when people could not (c) _______ (visit) other countries so fast and so easily. A country where they would go in a few months, now they can (d) _______ (reach) there within a few hours. Distance is no longer a distance. Men have even succeeded in (e) ______ (‘step’ use gerund) on the moon. They are trying to (f) _______ (leave) footsteps on the Mars. They are (g) _______ (enjoy) life by means of science But they are also (h) _______ (cause) harm to the earth and themselves through the misuse of science.
10. Birds add to the beauty of nature. We should (a) ________ (‘kill’ in the negative) birds. Birds are useful for our environment. Some birds (b) ________ (do) good to us. We (c) _______ (eat) their meat and eggs. In the winter, some birds (d) ________ (come) to our country for shelter. They are called migratory birds or guest birds. We (e) ________ (‘be’ use a modal with it ) kind to them. Some dishonest people (f) _______ (shoot) at them. They (g) _______ (catch) them. They (h) ________ (sell) them in the market. It is an offence. We should punish them.
11. Beware of child-traffickers. Those who are child-traffickers (a) ______ (‘have’ in the negative) humanity. They (b) ______ (make) money by trafficking children. They (c) _______ (mix) with children in the guise of a friend. They (d) ________ (allure) them by giving chocolates or soft drinks. So, do not believe an unknown man. If he is a human-trafficker, he (e) ________ (‘sell’ use future indefinite tense ) them to a group of traffickers. They will take you to another country and (f) _______ (make) you a slave. They may even (g) ________ (kill) you for your kidney or eyes. They (h) _______ (want) nothing but money.
12. We have too many people in our country. But we (a) ______ (‘have’ in the negative) as many good people as we need. A country (b) _______ (need) good people for her development. Good people are honest people. We want that you will (c) _______ (grow) up as good people or good citizens of the country. You should (d) _______ (try) in that way. Because if the people (e) _________ (‘live’ make it a present participle) in the country are dishonest, the country cannot develop. The dishonest people (f) _______ (create) problems in every walk of life. They (g) _______ (steal) national wealth. They never (h) ______ (work) for the interest of the nation.
Answers are coming soon.
Download: Word Document File ( With Answers)