English 2nd Paper
Subject Code: 108
Total Marks – 50
Time : 2 hours
[NB—The Figures in the right margin indicate full marks]
Section A : Grammar ( 30 Marks)
1. Fill in the gaps of the following text with appropriate articles. Put a cross (x) for zero article: ─ 0.5×6=3
Drug addiction is now (a) — global problem. It has spread its poisonous claw ail over (b) — world. Frustration is (c) — main cause of drug addiction. Drugs bear (d) — terrible effect on (e) — human body. It kills a man little by little. No physician can stop the changes that lake place in the organs of (f) — addict
2. Fill in the blanks of the following text with appropriate preposition given in the box below: ─ 0.5×6=3
The moon is a very familiar figure (a) – all of us. She awakens the feelings (b) — love and tenderness in our beans. Even the infant in arms stretches (c) — its hands to grasp this beautiful object. Nor is her appeal confined (d) — only children. Ever (e) — the stirring of the poetic faculty in man, she has furnished a theme (f) — poets and artists
3. Make four sentences from the substitution table: ─ 1×4=4
|| to find out the ability of the boy.
|| his desire to acquire knowledge.
|The learned man
|| to a famous teacher
|| himself in earning knowledge.
4. Change the following passage into indirect speech: ─ 1×4=4
“I’ve lost my tooth,” said Samira. “How ugly will I look!” “Don’t worry,” said Mina. “Just put your tooth into a rat’s hole and a rat will give one of its finest teeth.
5. Change the following sentences as directed in the brackets: ─ 1×5= 5
(a) Today corruption is very familiar term in Bangladesh. (Negative) (b) Corruption is the most dreadful weapon to destroy a Society (Positive) (c) It lies in every phase of our society. (Interrogative) (d) Some drastic steps have been taken against corruption. (Active) (e) Social awareness is very essential to resist corruption. (Interrogative)
6. Rewrite the following passageusing capitalization and punctuation: ─ 0.5×6 = 3
father said to his son why are you making so late go to school now I am not going to school today I feel dizzy said his son
7. Fill in the gaps used in the following text by adding suffix, prefix or both with the root words underlined in the text: ─ 0.5×8=4
Most students get (a) nerve about examinations. As a result, they often forget the answers they get by heart. They fail to answer the questions (b) proper. Many parent put undue (c) press on their (d) child. This in turn makes them all the more (e) tense. During the exam there are (f) invigilate. They are (g) teach who watch over the (h) exam.
8. Complete the following text with suitable verbs in the box with their right forms: ─0.5×8=4
The tree (a) — a major role for die welfare of human being. So, it (b) — said that tree is our life. We cannot (c) — of an environment without trees. The tree (d) — us in many ways. It (C) — us food, shelter, medicine etc. The tree (f) — us oxygen without which we cannot live. Fruit trees (g) — all over the country. Trees (h) — rains to keep the atmosphere cool and fresh.
Section B── Composition
9. Suppose, you are Rahim/Rahima. Your friend, Tuhin has sent you a nice gift on your 13 birthday. Now, write an e-mail thanking him/ her for sending the gift. 8
10. Write a composition on the following topic in 250 words: ─ 12
“Duties of a Student”