English 2nd Paper
Subject Code: 107
Total Marks – 100
Time : 3 hours
PART A : Grammar : 40
- Complete the passage with suitable verbs from the list. Put them r in the correct tenses. Use negatives where necessary : 1 × 5 = 5
Student life is the best time for (a) —— oneself for future. It is (b) —— the seed time of life. So, during this period of life student mustn’t (c) —— time. They should bear in mind that time (d) —— for none. If a student wastes his time, he will have to (e) —— in future.
- Read the following passage and fill in the blanks with appropriate prepositions : 1 × 5 = 5
The Olympic Games were named (a) —— the town of Olympia in Greece. In those days, Greece was divided (b) —— many cities. They used to fight (c) —— themselves. A man named Iphitos was concerned (d) —— such wasteful strifes. He hit (e) —— a plan to set up peace in the country. His plan worked well.
- Use articles where necessary. Put a cross (×) where an article is not needed : × 10 = 5
A true friend is (a) —— asset. He stands by his (b) —— friend in time of danger. He is not (c) —— greedy man. He always wishes for (d) —— welfare of his friend. But it is (e) —— matter of (f) —— fact that (g) —— ideal friend is very rare today. (h) —— selfish man cannot be (i) —— true friend. He thinks of his own (j) —— interest.
- Fill in the blanks with suitable linking words from the list below : 1 × 5 = 5
There are six seasons in the year. Winter season is a remarkable season of the year. A winter morning is cool (a) —— I get up from bed early in the morning. (b) —— I get up early in the winter morning, I have to face some problems. Nature looks pale (c) —— the sun rises. (d) —— the sun rises the fog disappears gradually. (e) —— there are some difficulties, I like it very much.
- Rewrite the following in the reported speech : 5
My friend said to me, “Why are you reading this hour? It is time for prayer. Let us go out for a walk after saying prayer.” “Yes, I agree with you,” said I.
- Read the following passage and transform the underlined sentences as directed in the brackets : 1 × 5 = 5
We are Bangladeshi. (a) We are proud of our freedom fighters (Interrogative). (b) Their contribution will never be forgotten (Affirmative). They were inspired by the common people. (c) Their sacrifice is greater than any other thing (Positive). (d) But today many of them lead a very miserable life (Complex). (e) If we take proper steps, (j) their condition may improve (Simple).
- Add tag questions to the following sentences : 1 × 5 = 5
(a) I am punctual, ——?
(b) He is a wise man, ——?
(c) She can make tea, ——?
(d) Nobody dislikes flower,——?
(e) Don’t waste your time, ——?
- Complete the following sentences : 1 × 5 = 5
(a) He speaks as if——
(b) Unless you work hard ——.
(c) If they wanted ——.
(d) We take exercise so that——.
(e) Read attentively lest ——.
PART B : Composition : 60
- Write a paragraph on “Load Shedding” by answering the following questions : 10
(a) What does load-shedding mean? (b) What are the causes of load shedding? (c) What problems does load shedding create? (d) Who suffer much for load shedding? (e) What measures should be taken to solve this problem?
- Write a short composition on “Your Future Plan of Life”
Or, “A Village Market”. 15
- Suppose, you are Ripon/Ripa a student of Magura Pilot High School, Magura. You passed the SSC Examination from that school. Now, you want to get admitted yourself into a college. You need a testimonial for the purpose. Now write an application to your headmaster praying for a testimonial. 10
- Suppose, Tuhin and Shaheen are two friends. Now, write a, dialogue between two friends on the necessity of planting trees. 10
Or, Write down the summary of the following passage. Give a suitable title to it:
Newspaper plays a vital role to modern civilization. It publishes important news and views of home and abroad. A student must have the habit of reading the newspaper everyday. Mere bookish knowledge is not sufficient in this competitive world. A newspaper helps him enrich his general knowledge and makes him aware of the burning issues of both inside and outside the country. A man, who does not read newspaper, is like a frog in a narrow well. Being ignorant of the current affairs, he cannot take part in the talks and discussions in an enlightened society and thus he feels like a fish out of water. Newspaper highlights news of various interests and views of important personalities. All these have an educative value. Sometimes there are false and partial reports in the newspaper. We should accept the good reports and avoid the bad ones.
- Read the following story. The story is incomplete. Use your imagination and complete the story. Give a suitable title to it: 15
Bayazid was a small boy. His mother was ill. One day he was studying by the side of the bed of his ailing mother. All on a sudden his mother woke up, raised her head and told her son to give her a glass of water. Bayazid went to the kitchen to bring water………………..