English 2nd Paper
Subject Code: 107
Total Marks – 100
Time : 3 hours
PART A : Grammar : 40
- Complete the passage with suitable verbs from the list. Put them in the correct tenses. Use negatives where necessary : 1 × 5 = 5
A teacher is an architect of a nation. He plays an important role in (a) —— up an educated nation. He (b) —— the darkness of ignorance from the lot of a nation. He is an actor while speaking. He has to (c) —— his act according to the need of his listeners. He is able to (d) —— the attention of his students. He (e) —— motionless before his class.
- Fill in the gaps of the following passage using appropriate prepositions : 1 × 5 = 5
One should not run (a) —— money because those who hanker (b) —— money cannot enjoy mental peace. Sometimes it may lead one (c) —— some unexpected troubles. It also happens that greed for money brings (d) —— many problems. So we should be contented (e)—— what we have.
- Use articles where necessary. Put a cross (´) where an article is not needed : × 10 = 5
A true friend is (a) —— asset. He stands by his (b) —— friend in time of danger. He is not (c) —— greedy man. He always wishes for (d) —— welfare of his friend. But it is (e) —— matter of (f) —— fact that (g) —— ideal friend is very rare today. (h) —— a selfish man cannot be (i) —— true friend. He thinks of his own (j) —— interest.
- Complete the following sentences with the phrases or idioms from the list given in the box : 1 × 5 = 5
|carry on||put off||weal and woe||all in all||as if||in lieu of||tell upon|
(a) —— come by turns.
(b) He talks —— he were mad.
(c) Fahima took Biology —— Elective Math.
(d Over exercise —— our health.
(e) Please, —— your shoes.
- Rewrite the following in the reported speech : 5
The teacher said to the boy, “Do you think that honesty is the best policy?” The boy said, “Yes, Sir, I think so.” “Then learn to be honest from your boyhood,” said the teacher. “Thank you, Sir,” said the boy. “May Allah grant you a long life,” said the teacher to the boy.
- Transform the underlined sentences in the following passage as directed in the brackets : 1×5 = 5
(a) The Padma is one of the biggest rivers in Bangladesh (Comparative). (b) When it is summer, it becomes emaciated (Simple). (c) During the rainy season, it assumes a terrible shape (Complex). (d) Who doesn’t know this (Affirmative)? (e) The tourists from home and abroad visit its shore to enjoy themselves (Complex).
- Add tag questions to the following sentences : 1 × 5 = 5
(a) I shall never forget you, ——?
(b) Neither of them helped me, ——?
(c) Nothing comes or goes, ——?
(d) No man is happy in this world, ——?
(e) Let him write a letter, ——?
- Complete the following sentences using suitable clauses : 1 × 5 = 5
(a) Though he is poor, ——.
(b) It is you who ——.
(c) Danger often comes where ——.
(d) He opened a bank account so that——.
(e) 1971 is the year when ——.
PART B : Composition : 60
- Write a paragraph on “The Life of a Farmer” on the basis of the following questions : 10
(a) Who is a farmer? (b) What are his daily activities? (c) How does he contribute to the nation? (d) What are his pleasures and pains? (e) How can we better his condition?
- Write a short composition on any one of the following topics : 15
(b) Your Hobby.
- Suppose, you are Fahim/Fahima and you are the student of Khulna Zilla School. Your common room facilities are not sufficient to meet up your demand. Now, write an application to your Headmaster on behalf of the students requesting him to increase common room facilities as soon as possible. 10
- You are Somon/Somona. Your SSC Examination is near at hand. Your friend Sakib meets you. Now, write a dialogue between you and Sakib about your preparation for the S.SC Examination. 10
Or, Write down the summary of the following passage. Give a suitable title to it:
Good manners form an important part of our education. Our education remains incomplete if we lack manners. In our behaviour with others, we must show proper respect to them. We should have a sense of propriety in our conduct with others. We should show respect to our superiors and civility to our juniors or equals. A sense of propriety is necessary for a cultural and disciplined society. Again good manners cost us nothing. They are often the result of good sense and good nature. The importance of good manners in life is great indeed. Good manners with love and respect for men help him in every sphere of life. Everyone likes a man of good manners and is glad to help him. Really a man of good manners is a gentle man in the true sense of the term.
- Read the following story. It is not complete. Complete it by using your imagination and give a suitable title to it : 15
There lived a farmer in a village. He had a wonderful goose. The goose laid an egg of gold everyday. The farmer was very greedy. He thought that………………….