English 2nd Paper
Subject Code: 107
Total Marks – 100
Time : 3 hours
PART A : Grammar : 40
- Complete the passage with suitable verbs from the list. Put them in the correct tenses. Use negatives where necessary: 1 × 5 – 5
Self-control (a) —— all other virtues. Man generally (b) —— on impulses and strong desires. Vicious desires (c) —— the purity of heart and mind resulting the degradation of human nature. It is self-control that can help a man (d) —— up a pure character which is very essential to (e) —— above the level of inhumanity.
- Fill in the blanks with appropriate prepositions : 1 × 5 = 5
An honest man is true (a) —— his word. He does not deviate (b) —— the path of honesty. He knows that true peace consists (c) —— honesty. So he does not fall a victim (d) —— any greed. He has no ambition (e) —— worldly things.
- Use articles where necessary. Put a cross (´) where an article is not needed : ´ 10 = 5
Money cannot buy (a) —— happiness, Money is (b) —— must for our life. But it is not (c) —— necessary to bring our happiness. Happiness is absolutely (d) —— psychological thing. It is (e) —— name of (f) —— feeling. It means (g) —— contentment of the mind. He who is satisfied with what he gets and content with his life is (h) — really a happy one. Happiness cannot be purchased with (i) —— money. No doubt, money has got something to do with (j) —— happiness, but it cannot give us complete happiness.
- Complete the following sentences with the phrases or idioms from the list : 1 × 5 = 5
|cock and bull story||come to light||come true||crying need||for good||at all cost||by turns|
(a) I don’t believe your ——.
(b) My secret will never ——.
(c) Education is the —— of our country.
(d) He left home ——.
(e) His dream has——.
- Rewrite the following in the reported speech : 5
“Ratan, have you done your English lesson today?” asked the teacher. “Yes sir, I have done it. But I haven’t understood some grammatical points,” replied Ratan. “Where is the problem?” said the teacher. “Let us try again.”
- Read the following passage and transform the underlined sentences as directed in brackets : 1 × 5 = 5
(a) We should read books to gain knowledge (Complex). (b) Books introduce us to the realm of knowledge (Passive). (c) The books of great writers contain noble thoughts and great ideas (Interrogative). (d) If we read books, we can enrich our minds (Simple). The reading of books brings perfection in our life, and there is no alternative to reading books. (e) Books are the greatest friends (Comparative).
- Add tag questions to the following sentences : 1 × 5 = 5
(a) He put the book on the table, ——?
(b) You will buy a shirt, ——?
(c) Let’s have some fun, ——?
(d) The mother rose in her, ——?
(e) Save something for the future, ——?
- Complete the following sentences : 1 × 5 = 5
(a) Since the boy broke discipline ——,
(b) 1971 is the year when——.
(c) Danger comes where ——.
(d) Scarcely had I reached the station ——.
(e) If I had seen him ——.
PART B : Composition : 60
- Write a paragraph about “A Rainy Day” by answering the following questions : 10
(a) What is a rainy day? (b) How is a rainy day? (c) How do people feel on a rainy day? (d) What happens to the poor? (e) How do the students feel on that day?
- Write a composition, in about 250 words on any one of the following topics : 15
(a) Duties of a Student;
(b) Your Future Plan of Life.
- Suppose, you arc Ashiq or Asha, a student of Magura High School, Magura. There is no canteen in your school. The students have to stay a long time in the school. So, they need tiffin. Now, write an application to your headmaster for setting up a canteen in your school. 10
- The necessity of reading newspaper is quite vast. Now, write a dialogue between you and your friend about the necessity of reading Newspaper. 10
Or, Read the following passage carefully and write a summary on it and give a suitable title to it:
Sincerity is the root of success of all works. One can go a long way if one does anything with sincerity. The rich people are sincere to their work and they are capable of making anything a success. The great men are also sincere because they know that sincerity is the key-stone to success. Those who do not follow the rules of sincerity can never go a long way in the world. The poor people are not sometimes sincere and they lag behind. If they do not know the benefit of sincerity, they cannot make a good use of it. Sincerity is the tonic to any work because it helps the work to be done properly. If any work is not done properly, one will never get good output from it. So we should be sincere in every walk of life. Sincerity does not mean only to do any work properly, it also means dutifulness, honesty and modesty.
- Read the story and complete it in your own way. Give a suitable title to your story : 15
There lived a wood cutter in a village. One day he was cutting wood near a river. Suddenly, his axe fell into the river. The river was very deep. The wood cutter did not know how to swim or dive. So, he was sitting there sadly. Then a wonderful thing happened. A beautiful fairy appeared before the wood cutter…………………..