English 2nd Paper
Subject Code: 107
Total Marks – 100
Time : 3 hours
PART A : Grammar : 40
- Complete the following passage with suitable verbs from the list. Put them in correct tenses. Use negatives where necessary: 1 × 5 = 5
Today women (a) —— important role in all spheres of life. They (b) —— no longer confined within the four walls of their parents’ or husbands’ house. They have (c) —— out of the kitchens and are (d) —— hand in hand with men in all the development programmes of the government. By (e) —— higher education they are becoming pilots, doctors, engineers, teachers, administrators, etc.
- Use articles where necessary. Put a cross (´) where an article is not needed : × 10 = 5
The prize giving ceremony is (a) —— occasion of joy. Almost every school holds (b) —— prize giving ceremony. The last prize giving ceremony of our (c) —— school was held on 2 March in (d) —— school compound. We decorated (e) —— school building very tastefully. (f) —— big pandal ——was erected to hold the function. There were two tables neatly decorated on which (g) —— prizes were kept. On one side was (h) —— platform from where the speeches were delivered. There was also a victory stand from where (i) —— recipients received their (j) —— prizes.
- Put in suitable prepositions in the blanks. 1 × 5 = 5
The moon is a very familiar figure (a) —— all of us. She awakens a feeling (b) —— love and tenderness in our hearts. Even the infant in arms stretches (c) —— its hands to grasp this beautiful object. Nor is her appeal confined (d) —— only children. Ever since the stirring of the poetic faculty in man, she has furnished a theme (e) —— poets and artists.
4, Complete the following sentences with the phrases or idioms from the list given in the box below: 1× 5=5
|in the guise of||sine die||safe and sound||find fault with||get the sack||to the backbone||well up|
(a) We reached home ——.
(b) The boy is wicked ——.
(c) It is not good to —— other.
(d) The classes have been suspended ——.
(e) He came —— a friend.
- Rewrite the following sentences in the reported speech : 5
I said to the old man, “What are you doing?” “I’m watching the boys swimming in the pond,” he said. “How happy they are! May Allah bless them.” “Let me sit by you and enjoy the scene,” I said.
- Read the following passage and transform the underlined sentences directed in brackets: 1× 5 = 5
Corruption is a great curse to our nation. (a) No other problem is so dreadful as corruption (Comparative). (b) It prevails in every walk of our life (Interrogative). It destroys everything. (c) We fail to enjoy the real progress as corruption devours every good fruit of our efforts (Compound). It can be compared to cancer. (d) It paralyses the whole nation (Passive). (e) We must realise the fact and come forward against corruption (Negative).
- Add tag questions to the following sentences : 1× 5 = 5
(a) He says that time is money, ——?
(b) I’m the monarch of all I survey, ——?
(c) Everybody respects him, ——?
(d) Let us do something, ——?
(e) She hardly comes here, ——?
- Complete the following sentences : 1 × 5= 5
(a) The load is so heavy that ——.
(b) As soon as we saw him——.
(c) —— is not gold.
(d) If I were you, ——.
(e) Walk fast lest——
PART-B : Composition : 60
- Write a paragraph on “Traffic-Jam”. Your paragraph must include the answer to the following questions : 10
(a) What is traffic-jam? (b) By whom or how is this problem created? (c) At which places of a city or a town does it occur? (d) What things happen for it? (e) How can this problem be solved?
- Write a composition in about 200 words on any one of the following topics : 15
(a) The Population Problem in Bangladesh;
(b) The Game You Like Most.
- Imagine, you are Shimul of Nilgiri Ideal High School. There is no canteen in your school. As a result, the students suffer much. Now, write an application to the Headmaster/Headmistress of your school for setting up a canteen in the school compound. 10
- Illiteracy is a great problem in Bangladesh. It badly hampers all our development programmes. It is considered as a curse for the nation. Now, write a dialogue between yourself and your friend, Rumi about how to eradicate illiteracy from the country. 10
Or, Write the summary of the following passage. Give a suitable title to it:
Man is mortal. To everyman death must come sooner or later. But it matters little if a man lives a few years more or less than another. Our life is not measured by months or years. It is truly measured by our deeds and actions. The people who live only for their own interest die unhonoured and are not remembered after their death. But who sacrifice their lives to the service of mankind live in the hearts of men even after their death. Though they do not live in the midst of living men, they are remembered forever by all. So, we should do good deeds for the benefit of mankind.
- Read the beginning of the following story. It is not complete. Use your imagination to complete it and give it a suitable title : 15
There were two friends. They lived in a certain village. They promised that they would help each other at the time of danger. One day they were passing through a deep forest. Suddenly a bear came in front of them. So both of them were afraid and ……………………….