Dhaka Board Final Exam
Subject: English-2nd Paper
Time: 3 hours
Full Marks: 100
[N.B.- The figures in the right margin indicate full marks. Answer all the questions.]
Part A: Grammar (Marks: 60)
- Fill in the blanks with the words from the box. You may need to change the form of the words. You may need to use one word more than once. 0.5×10=5
with at a bread dislike responsible to of privilege in We live in society. So we must learn how to live (a)__ peace and amity (b)__ others. We have to respect others rights and (c)__ and liking and (d)__ as we expect others to respect us. We have (e)__ lot of duties and (f)__ in society. Education should aim (g)__ making each individual fully aware (h)__ these duties and responsibilities. It is true that one has (i)__learn how to earn the (j)__.
- Fill in the blanks with suitable words. 0.5×10=5
Illiteracy is not (a)__ boon to us. It is undoubtedly a (b)__. It hinders all kinds (c)__ development of a country. Illiteracy causes great (d)__to us. Since we are not (e)__ of the gravity of the problem, we cannot take steps to increase our (f)__ rate. As a result, we are (g)__ behind. We have to depend (h)__the foreign aids. So, all should come forward (i)__ to remove illiteracy. Then, the (j)__of our country will be possible.
- Make five sentences using parts of sentences from each column of the table below. 1×5=5
Copying in the examination It The students who Nothing copy is cannot hinders as hateful as copying in the exam.in the exam deceive themselves. a social crime. bring any benefit. our education and development.
- Complete the following text with right forms of the verbs in the box. 0.5×10=5
build idle remember be work lag reach depend lead follow Bangladesh if full of natural resources. The prosperity of the country (a)__ on the proper utilization of the resources. We should not (b)__a lazy life. We should all (c)__up our country. For this reason, we have to (d)__hard. No nation can prosper without industry. It should be (e)__that industry is the key to success. If we (f)__ the days away, we (g)__behind. The nations that (h)__industrious (i)__the pinnacle of development. So we (j)__them.
- Change the narrative style of the following text. 5
The police officer said to Mita, “How can I help you?” Mita replied, “While I was coming
home alone by a taxi last night, two snatchers rode into my taxi.” “Did they snatch anything from you?” “Yes sir, they took away my cell phone and some money,” said Mita. “Let me record a complaint,” said the police officer.
- Change the sentences according to directions. 1×10=10
(a) We should read books to acquire knowledge. (Make complex sentences)(b) Books introduce us to realm of knowledge. (Use passive voice)(c) The books of great writers contain noble thoughts and great ideas. (Make interrogative sentence)(d) By reading good books, we can enrich our mind. (Make compound sentence)(e) Reading books is a very good habit. (Make exclamatory sentence)(f) This habit is rarely disliked. (Affirmative)(g) More and more books should be read. (Use active voice)(h) No other thing is a interesting as reading books. (Use comparative degree)(i) When we read good books, we discover new worlds. (Make simple sentence)(j) Very few friends are as great as a good book. (Make superlative degree)
- Complete the sentences. 1×5=5
(a) Smoking is a habit which__.(b) Many people go on smoking though__.(c) __, we will suffer a lot.(d)____ People can’t give up smoking easily because__.(e) So attempts must be taken by us to__.
- Complete the text adding suffixes, prefixes on the both with the root words given in the parenthesis. 0.5×10=5
Load-shedding is one of the most common problems of Bangladesh. Lives of our citizens are (a)__(serious) hampered for load-shedding. Students feel (b)__(difficult) in reading during load-shedding.(c)__(industry) activities are also hampered. We should use electricity (d)__(honest) and (e)__(frugal)and should create (f)__(aware) among people to solve this (g)__(nation) problem. Besides, government should take (h)__(effect) steps to (i)__(grade) our power stations to mitigate the (j)__(advantages) of our people.
- Make tag questions of the following statements. 1×5=5
(a) Success cannot be achieved without efforts, __? (b) Every body knows it,__?(c) The successful people are very industrious, __?(d) Everything glorious is gained through hard labour, __?(e) So, industry is the key to success,__?
- Complete the passage using suitable connectors. 1×5=5
Gold is a bright precious metal. There are many metals cheaper (a)__gold but look like it. They glitter well (b)__ fade in course of time. Actually there are many people in our society (c)__ are out warmly gentle and nice. But (d)__a period of time, their real identity is revealed. (e)__, all that glitters is not gold.
- Use capitals and punctuation marks where necessary in the following text. 5
the lion roared how dare you wake me up ill kill you the mouse cried please let me go i didn’t mean to wake you up
Part B: Composition (Marks: 40)
- Suppose, you are Rajin Ahmed/ Rezwana Akter. You have completed H.S.C. and are looking for a job. You have seen a vacancy advertisement in “The Daily Star” for the post of an “OfficeAssistant” of Berger Company Ltd. Now make a CV with a cover letter for the post. Your CV should not exceed one page. 8
- Suppose, you are Sadman/ Saima. You are a student of Polisha High School, Madargonj, Jamalpur. There is no canteen in your school. Now write an application to the Headmaster of your school for setting up a canteen in your school campus. 10
- Suppose, a hawker lives nearby your house. You know a lot about him and his activities. Now write a paragraph in about 250 words on “The life of a Street Hawker”.10
- A student has many duties and responsibilities. He/she can play an important role to build up the nation. Now write a short composition on “Duties of a Student”.