English 2nd Paper
Subject Code: 107
Total Marks – 100
Time : 3 hours
PART A : Grammar : 40
- Complete the following Passage with suitable verbs given in the box below. Put them in correct tenses. Use negatives where : 1 × 5 = 5
Honesty is a great virtue. An honest man is liked and trusted by all. The ignorant men adopt unfair means with a view to (a) —— their objectives. In every walk of life, honesty (b) — a must. An honest man may be poor but he (c) —— to become rich by (d) —— dishonest means. His progress in life may be slow but he (e) —— very high in the long run.
- Fill in the gaps of the following passage using appropriate prepositions : 1 × 5 = 5
A pious man is absorbed (a) —— meditation. He has firm faith in the Almighty. He abides (b) —— the rules of religion. He clings (c) —— his faith. He knows that man is accountable (d) —— the Almighty for his action. So, he leads his life according to religion. He is not angry (e) —— anybody.
- Use articles where necessary. Put a cross (´) where an article is not needed : ½ × 10 = 5
A true friend is (a) —— asset. He stands by his (b) —— friend in time of danger. He is not (c) —— greedy man. He always wishes for (d) —— welfare of his friend. But, it is (e) ——— matter of (f) —— fact that (g) —— true friend is very rare today. (h) —— selfish man cannot be (i) —— true friend. He thinks of his own (j) ——interest.
- Complete the following sentences with the phrases or idioms s from the list given in the box : 1 × 5 = 5
|look forward||in full swing||go through||leave no stone unturned||a slow coach||in black and white||summer friend|
(a) The Chairman wanted the statement ——.
(b) I have —— the novel.
(c) Parisa —— to solve the problem.
(d) Our classes are going on ——.
(e) —— like him will fail to complete the work in time.
- Rewrite the following passage changing the form of speech : 5
“Have you completed your assignment?” said Rumana. “No, I haven’t completed yet”, replied Farah. “But you must submit it timely,” said Rumana. “I worked on it for several hours yesterday,” replied Farah.
- Read the following passage and transform the underlined sentences as directed in brackets : 1 × 5 = 5
(a) No other day in my life is as memorable as my first day at school (Superlative). (b) I will never forget this day (Affirmative). (c) I passed the day with my new classmates and teachers (Passive). (d) How thrilling the day was! (Assertive) (e) I remember my honourable teachers (Complex).
- Add tag questions to the following sentences : 1 × 5 = 5
(a) I am late, ——?
(b) Don’t tell a lie,——?
(c) She will reach here tomorrow, ——?
(d) Rafiq didn’t understand it, ——?
(e) Everybody knows him,——?
- Complete the following sentences : 1 × 5 = 5
(a) Musa was so determined that——.
(b) —— although it was raining heavily.
(c) It is long time since ——.
(d) A void mistakes lest——.
(e) Saturday is the day when ——.
PART B : Composition : 60
- Write a paragraph on “Your Visit to a Book Fair” in about 100-120 words. Your paragraph should include the answers to the following questions : 10
(a) What was the occasion? (b) Where was the fair held? (c) Why did you go there? (d) What did you see there? (e) What’s your opinion about the fair?
- Write a short composition in about 250 words on any one of the following topics: 15
(a) Population Problem in Bangladesh;
(b) The Season You Like Best.
- Suppose, you arc Faria/Farhan. You are a student of class X of Sonapur Govt. High School. The students of your class want to go on a study tour to the Sundarbans. Now, write an application on behalf of the students of your class to the headmaster/ headmistress for permission to go on a study tour. 10
- Write down the summary of the following passage and give a suitable title to it: 10
There is a proverb, ‘Man is the maker of his own fortune. If we are afraid of work, we cannot prosper in life. Some people think that success in life depends on luck or chance. Scientists have toiled day and night in their- laboratories to invent radio, television and computer which have added to the joy of our life, Life is not a bed of roses. It may be full of discomforts and problems if we are reluctant to work. In fact, life may be a misery to meet our daily expenses. Industry can earn success in life. It is not only for an individual but also for a nation. America, Russia, Japan and China are powerful nations of the world today. They have attained power, position and wealth by virtue of the earnest toil of their citizens. However, Bangladesh is a developing country. If we want to improve the quality of our life, we must work hard which is the key to success.
- Suppose, you are Masum/Masuma and your friend, is Sabbir/Sabina who docs not prepare his/her lesson in time. Very often he/she wastes his/her time watching TV. So he/she always cut a sorry figure in the examination. Now, write a dialogue between you and your friend about the proper use of time. B. Read the beginning of the following story. It is incomplete. Now, complete the story by using your imagination and give a suitable title to it: 15
Once a thirsty crow was flying to and fro in search of water. But he found no water. At last he saw a pitcher nearby and flew to it………………….