English 2nd Paper
Subject Code: 107
Total Marks – 100
Time : 3 hours
PART A : Grammar : 40
- Complete the passage with suitable verbs from the list below. Put them in the correct tenses. Use negatives where necessary. There are more verbs than necessary : 1 × 5 = 5
Science has created wonders in the field of communication. Mobile phone (a) —— one of the great wonders of modern science. It has (b) —— a new dimension to our way of life and to the communication system. Obviously, mobile telecommunication has (c) —— the world closer to us. Nowadays it has (d) —— part and parcel of our life. Using mobile phone we are (e) —— in many ways.
- Use articles where necessary. Put a cross (´) where an article is not needed : × 10 = 5
You are (a) —— students of class ten, (b) —— highest class of your school. To come to this stage you had to undergo a lot of hardship and (c) —— efforts. None of you can deny (d) —— fact of getting help from (e) —— so many dedicated and friendly teachers. This is, however, (f) —— usual process. What (g) —— tremendous job (h) —— teachers shouldered to bring you at this stage. All these have been done to you to help you in becoming (i) —— extraordinary person having (j) —— ability and integrity for your own excellence.
- Read the following passage and fill in the blanks with appropriate preposition: 1 × 5 = 5
In a society all men are not equally well off. Some are rich and some are very poor. This is because (a) —— unequal distribution of national wealth. Many are deprived (b)—— the basic needs of life. They must be provided (c) —— their dues. The rich always draw a line of contrast (d) —— themselves and the poor. Most of them look down (e) —— the poor. They should be conscious and their humanity should be improved.
- Complete the following sentences with the phrases or idioms from the list given in the box : 1 × 5 = 5
|at best||Yellow dog||Crying need||red letter day||dead letter||above all||put off|
(a) Learning English is a —— for everybody.
(b) 16th December is a —— of our national life.
(c) Do not —— your today’s work for tomorrow.
(d) A —— is hated by all.
(e) Kazi Nazrul Islam was a philosopher, educationist and —— a great poet.
- Rewrite the following in the reported speech : 5
“My sons, listen to me. A great treasure lies hidden in the land. I am going to leave it to you.” “How will we find it?” said the sons. “You must dig the land for it,” said the old man.
- Read the following passage and transform the underlined sentences as directed in brackets : 1×5 = 5
(a) Honesty is a great virtue (Complex). (b) An honest man is respected by all (Active). (c) My brother was honest for which he was rewarded (Simple). (d) If you are honest, you will always be trusted (Compound). (e) So we should be honest in our life (Negative).
- Add tag questions to the following sentences : 1 × 5 = 5
(a) Don’t waste time, ——?
(b) Neither of them did it, ——?
(c) You need not go to the field, ——?
(d) He will do it,——?
(e) I am happy, ——?
- Complete the following sentences : 1 × 5 = 5
(a) A man is known by the company——.
(b) As she was ill, ——.
(c) Unless you study attentively, ——.
(d) If you walk slowly——.
(e) The old woman is so weak ——.
PART B : Composition 60
- Write a paragraph on “Traffic-Jam” by answering the following questions : 10
(a) What is traffic jam? (b) What are the causes of jam? (c) Where does it usually happen? (d) What problems do the people face for it? (e) How can these problems be solved?
- Write a composition in not more than 250 words on any one about: 15
(a) Your Future Plan of Life; (b) The Season You Like Most.
- Suppose, you are Samiur/Nusrat of Rasulpur village in the district of Jessore. The water of tube-well of your locality is arsenic contaminated. Now, write an application to the Chairman of your Union Parishad for sinking a deep tube-well for safe water. 10
- Suppose, your close friend Rupak wants to go to his village to educate the illiterate villagers after his SSC examination but you want to complete a three months long English Language Course. Now, write a dialogue between you and your friend Rupak about these matters. 10
Or, Write down the summary of the following passage and give a suitable title to it:
Money cannot buy happiness. Money is a must for our life. But it is not the thing that necessity brings happiness, happiness is absolutely a psychological thing. It is the name of a feeling. It means the contentment of the mind. He who is satisfied with what he gets and content with his life, is really happy. Happiness cannot be purchased with money. So we see that the richest men of our society are not the happiest men. They lead life with cares and anxieties and pass sleepless nights. On the other hand there are large number of poor men who are happy and enjoy a sound sleep. The man who is honest and virtuous, though not rich, does not suffer from the anguish of the soul. His conscious mind does not torment him. Hence money cannot ensure happiness. It is only moral and spiritual development that gives us happiness.
- Read the beginning of the following story and complete it in your own way. Give a suitable title to it: 15
Once there was an old farmer in a certain village. He had four sons. They were very fond of quarrelling and used to quarrel among themselves all the time. So, there was no peace in the house and this made the old man extremely anxious ……………………….