English 2nd Paper
Subject Code: 107
Sylhet Board, 2011
Total Marks – 100
Time : 3 hours
PART A : Grammar : 40
Complete the following passage with suitable verbs from the list. Put them in the correct tenses. Use negatives where necessary : 1 × 5 = 5
As per the news (a) —— in the daily newspaper thirty-six districts out of sixty-four of Bangladesh have been (b) —— by flood this year. If the people out of the flood affected areas do not (c) —— forward with a view to (d) —— the flood affected people, they will have to suffer a lot for not (e) —— the necessary commodities in time.
- Use suitable prepositions in the following blanks : 1 × 5 = 5
Do you want (a) —— enjoy sound health? Your answer will certainly be (b) —— the affirmative. It is because everybody wants to enjoy this. But you have (c) —— know the way of maintaining sound health. (d) —— this you need to know what sound health is. When a person has both physical fitness and mental fitness, he/she can be said to be enjoying sound health. Now, you can think (e) —— physical fitness first.
- Use articles where necessary. Put a cross (´) where an article is not needed : × 10 = 5
A gentleman once advertised for (a) —— post of a peon and nearby 50 candidates came to apply for (b) —— post. Of course, only one could be chosen, and 49 must be sent away. When (c) —— choice was made, (d) —— friend asked (e) —— gentleman why he had selected (f) —— one who came with (g) —— least recommendation. The gentleman said, “There were many things I noticed in his favour. He knew (h) —— use of the mat at the door; he closed the door gently as he entered, he made way for (i) ——lame man who came into the office; and all of my questions were answered properly and respectively. I think his politeness is (j) —— great recommendation.
- Complete the following sentences with the phrases or idioms from the list given in the box : 1 × 5 = 5
|in store for||in a fix||nip in the bud||all on a sudden||by dint of||crying need||beggar description|
(a) The sufferings of the cyclone affected people——.
(b) English learning is a —— for everybody.
(c) Only Allah knows what is —— me.
(d) He stood first——hard labour.
(c) —— it began to rain.
- Change the form of speech : 5
A fruit seller said, “Which fruits would you need? I have apples from Australia, oranges from Darjeeling, grapes from Kashmir, etc.” The customer said, “What fruits do you have of our country?” The seller said, “Yes, I have coconut, guava, jackfruits, etc.” The customer said, “I want one kg of guava as it will be the substitute of Australian apple.”
- Transform the underlined sentences in the following passage as directed in brackets : 1 × 5 = 5
Bangladesh is a land of scenic beauty. (a) Cox’s Bazar is the longest sea beach the world (Positive). (b) Everybody knows this (Interrogative). (c) Tourists from home and abroad visit this beach (Passive). (d) They come here to enjoy themselves (Complex). (e) Our government is going to take some steps to make it more attractive (Passive).
- Add tag questions to the following sentences : 1 × 5 = 5
(a) We should not waste our time, ——?
(b) Sinners suffer in the long run, ——? :
(c) Every mother loves her child, ——?
(d) Let’s do something for the country, ——?
(e) Always speak the truth, ——?
- Complete the following sentences : 1 × 5 = 5
(a) Walk fast lest——.
(b) If you help me, ——.
(c) Though he is poor, ——.
(d) We eat so that——.
(e) We left the hotel after——.
PART B : Composition : 60
- Write a paragraph on “A road accident” you have witnessed in about 100-120 words answering the following questions : 10
(a) When and where did the accident take place? (b) How did it happen? (c) What happened in the accident? (d) What did you do for the victims? (e) How did you feel then?
- Write a short composition in about 200 words on : 15
Wonders of Modern Science;
Or, The Game You Like Most.
- Suppose, you arc Noor/Noorjahan, a student of class X of Mirpur Govt High School, Dhaka. The students of your class want to go on a study tour to ‘Jufflong’. So you need permission of your Headmaster. Now, write an application to the Headmaster of your school seeking his permission to go on a study tour. 10
- Write down the summary of the following passage. Give a suitable title to it : 10
Money cannot buy happiness. Money is a must for our life. But it is not the thing that necessarily brings happiness. Happiness is absolutely a psychological thing. It is the name of a feeling. It means the contentment of the mind. He, who is satisfied with what he gets and content with his life, is really happy. Happiness cannot be purchased with money. No doubt, money has got something to do with happiness but it cannot give us happiness. So we see that the richest men of our society are not the happiest men. They lead life with cares and anxieties and pass sleepless nights. On the other hand, there are a large number of poor men who are happy and enjoy a sound sleep. The man who is honest and virtuous, though not rich, does not suffer from the anguish of the soul. His conscience does not torment him. Hence money cannot ensure happiness. It is only moral and spiritual development that gives us happiness.
Or, There is a boy whose name is Shafiq. He wants to be an Engineer. Mr Jabbar, his father, wants to make his son a good doctor. Now, write a dialogue between Shafiq and Mr Jabbar regarding Shafiq’s future plan.
- Read the beginning of the following story and complete it in your own way. Give a suitable title to it: 15
There were two friends. They lived in a certain village. They promised that they would help each other at the time of danger. One day they were passing through a deep forest. Suddenly a bear came in front of them. So both of them were afraid and……….